16 Best Digital Whiteboard Software to Power Team Collaboration
Can we take a moment and give it up for the classic old-school whiteboards? The ones from our childhood? The ones covered with magnets, markers, patterned paper borders, and—for some reason—an excessive amount of painter’s tape?
TBH, those whiteboards were always a vibe.
They needed enough personality to hold your attention, clean enough to be functional, and fun enough for students to want to contribute to it.
Looking back, this was a tall ask for those “generation one” whiteboards. Still, they pulled it off, kickstarting a widespread obsession that decades later helped revolutionize remote work as we know it—but more on that in a little bit.
The differences between how a classroom and a product development team use whiteboards might seem abundantly obvious, but what we’re trying to drill home is that whiteboards are timeless and versatile.
And through the rise of whiteboard software, they are also extremely powerful.
One of the biggest advantages of virtual whiteboard software is representing and managing almost any project visually. This makes it more engaging for those you’re working with, and also more accessible for people who approach work and learn in different ways.
Plus, have you ever heard someone say “I can show you better than I can tell you,” and then proceeded to blow your mind with drawings that conveyed an idea way clearer than any paragraph could?
That’s because our brains are built to process multiple images at once—and why mockups are so necessary for designers and product teams!
PeacockTV via GIPHY
Digital whiteboards allow the entire team to see the big picture from the ideation process and beyond, ultimately leading to better team communication and collaboration from start to finish.
And with the popularity of permanently remote teams on a constant rise, the work to engage your team and maintain a constructive stream of communication is never done.
The blank slate starting point for whiteboard software also helps to promote creativity in the brainstorming process by breaking away from text-based information models or document-heavy practices.
The demand for powerful whiteboard software is booming, which is all the more reason why you need to do your homework before going all-in on your next go-to whiteboard tool.
Luckily, we have you covered. 🙂
We’ve researched, tested, compared, and reviewed every tool on the market to bring you the ultimate list of the best whiteboard software—ranked for your convenience—so you can brainstorm like a pro.
There may be tons of digital whiteboard options available to you, but they are not all the same! Read carefully and consider your needs to make sure you’re pursuing the brainstorming tool of your dreams.
More than a place to brainstorm and draw, ClickUp Whiteboards are the only collaborative whiteboard tool that lets you turn real-time ideas into actionable projects
ClickUp is an all-in-one productivity tool for teams across industries to manage projects, collaborate smarter, and bring all of your work together in one place. Whether you’re a part of a large-scale enterprise team, a small agency, school, or a solopreneur, ClickUp’s customization capabilities are flexible and powerful enough to manage your workload, monitor project updates, and communicate with the team—no matter what project style you use.
ClickUp is known for its feature-rich experience, which now includes its all-new Whiteboards tool!
Announced and released to the public in beta in November 2021, Whiteboards are now officially live! This was one of the most requested features from ClickUp users and is currently the only collaborative whiteboard that enables teams to turn real-time ideas directly into actionable projects. So naturally, ClickUp Whiteboards are ranked number one in our hearts and on this list.
🥰 Our fav Whiteboards features
If you love ClickUp Mind Maps, then you will love ClickUp Whiteboards. Imagine having the freedom to doodle, draw, and create as you please without ever running out of space—then immediately connecting those ideas to your workflow?
Draw, add objects, and connect ideas
Create detailed flowcharts, in-depth project plans, and brainstorm with ease on an infinite canvas. With many objects and colors, you can ideate and connect anything!
Add style and structure
Use rich editing to add formatted and stylized content to Whiteboards like text, shapes, notes, images, and other media files.
Create and add tasks
Turn ideas into actions with the click of a button! Add existing tasks to your canvas or create new tasks to ensure nothing gets missed between ideation and execution.
See who’s viewing this Whiteboard plus any edits they make in real-time! With the same real-time collaboration power you know and love from ClickUp Docs, you can now brainstorm ideas and map out projects simultaneously, just as though you’re together in the same room.
Draw connections and link objects together to create roadmaps or workflows from your ideas alongside your team in ClickUp Whiteboards
More to love from ClickUp Whiteboards
- Tons of integrations to enhance your current processes
- Privacy and sharing permissions to easily share your brainstorm with the team, stakeholders, or a group of your choice
- Nine templates for flowcharting, concept mapping, retrospectives, brainwriting, and our personal favorite, Animal Drawing Battle—the creative ice breaker game your team’s been missing. Choose one from ClickUp’s growing library of templates to help you make the most of your Whiteboard, even if it’s your very first one.
One of the biggest advantages of ClickUp Whiteboards is that you get the feature-rich experience of ClickUp and the flexibility of Whiteboards without hurting the budget.
- Free Forever: Tons of powerful Whiteboards features, unlimited tasks and members, 100MB of storage, and more
- Unlimited ($5 per member, per month): Unlimited storage, unlimited integrations, unlimited Dashboards, Agile reporting, and more
- Business ($12 per member, per month): Google SSO, unlimited teams, custom exporting, advanced public sharing, advanced automations, and more
- Business Plus ($19 per member, per month): Subtasks in multiple Lists, custom role creation, custom permissions, increased automations and API, and more
- Enterprise (contact sales for pricing): White labeling, enterprise API, guided onboarding, dedicated success manager
- G2: 4.7/5 (5,500+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (3,500+ reviews)
They say that real success only begins when you start rooting for other people. And you know what, Miro is cool. There, we said it! It is a collaborative whiteboard software that really has it down when it comes to features built for mind mapping and constructive brainstorming sessions.
Built for various types of teams, Miro’s intuitive whiteboards allow you present ideas visually, communicate asynchronously, facilitate meetings, and co-create organizational charts without ever running out of space.
Our fav Miro features
- Built-in video and chat feature with @mentions
- Hundreds of pre-built templates and custom templates are available
- Have interactive presentations using present mode which allows for the presenter to zoom into key areas of their whiteboard and keep others engaged
✅ Miro pros
- Tons of templates and features make Miro whiteboards versatile for teams across industries
- Powerful and intuitive collaboration and presentation tools
- Integrates with tons of other tools including ClickUp!
❌ Miro cons
- Lacking a native time tracker
- Tons of features can make the experience overwhelming
- Limited features in the free version and expensive paid plan options
- Free: unlimited team members, three editable boards, core integrations, premade templates, basic attention management
- Team ($8 per member, per month): unlimited boards, unlimited visitors, custom templates, projects, and private boards
- Business ($16 per member, per month): unlimited guests, smart diagramming, SSO
- Enterprise (contact for pricing): enterprise-grade security and compliance, data governance, centralized account management and insights, and premium support
Miro customer ratings
- G2: 4.8/5 (4,000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (900+ reviews)
Check out these guides comparing Miro Vs. Mural & Miro Vs. Lucidchart
With features likened to many of your favorite project management platforms, Lucidspark is a great whiteboard software tool to help elevate your brainstorming process and start putting your ideas into action.
Our fav Lucidspark features
- Reactions and tally votes to sticky notes
- In-board chat
- Call others to your board to gather everyone to the same space at the same time or create breakout boards to collaborate in a smaller group
✅ Lucidspark pros
- Work management features to help track time, visualize ideas, and prioritize your next steps
- Templates, breakout boards, and collaboration features give teams more structure to their otherwise blank canvas
❌ Lucidspark cons
- Tons of advanced brainstorming features, but you’ll need to integrate Lucidspark with another platform to get the most out of managing your ideas beyond the early stages
- Does not integrate with ClickUp
- Free: three editable boards, basic collaboration features, basic integrations, emoji reactions, freehand drawing
- Individual (starting at $7.95 per month): unlimited boards, tags and grouping to organize ideas
- Team (starting at $9 per user, per month): advanced collaboration features, voting mode and timer, basic admin controls
- Enterprise (contact for pricing): advanced integrations, advanced admin controls, SSO
Lucidspark customer ratings
- G2: 4.5/5 (1,770+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (330+ reviews)
Like Miro, Stormboard allows teams to collaborate on an infinite canvas to hold meetings, monitor projects, and share ideas from virtually anywhere. It also offers a designated digital whiteboard feature focused on the ideation process with sticky notes and drawing tools to jot down thoughts.
Our fav Stormboard features
- Over 200 templates to choose from
- Zoom in and out of your work with the navigation panel
- Organization features like folders and task priorities
✅ Stormboard pros
- Option to create different views like Kanban on your board
- Tons of use cases for any team with its robust template center
❌ Stormboard cons
- Need to upgrade plan to access the platform’s more powerful features
- Can be a bit of a learning curve beyond basic use
- Personal: five open Storms, five users per Storm, basic reporting and exports, premade templates, integrations
- Startup ($5 per user, per month): unlimited open Storms, five viewers, basic reporting and exports, premade and custom templates,
- Business ($10 per user, per month): unlimited open storms, 10 Storm viewers, advanced reporting, folders, data imports
- Enterprise ($16.67 per user, per month): SSO, priority support, invoice billings, custom terms and service, agile integrations, unlimited viewers
Stormboard customer ratings
- G2: 4.3/5 (20+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (30+ reviews)
For teachers looking for a whiteboard solution in the midst of remote learning, Limnu is a strong digital alternative. It’s a fairly literal comparison to those physical whiteboards we remember from our own childhood classrooms with several visual presenting features to collaborate and engage with the team.
Our fav Limnu features
- Realistic markers and drawing tools
- Built-in video conferencing for up to eight participants
- Collaborative or solo draw modes
✅ Limnu pros
- Very simple UI
- Versatile for teachers of virtually any grade level and subject
❌ Limnu cons
- Lacking a task management system to act on the ideas from your whiteboard
- Beyond drawing, brainstorming, or use in a presenter setting, the platform lacks key features to align with your workflow
- Free: 14-day access to whiteboards, unlimited collaborators, collaborative or solo whiteboards, limited admin and security controls
- Pro ($5 per user, per month): unlimited boards, unlimited collaborators, private and collaborative board options
- Team ($8 per user, per month): share boards with external collaborators, team or private boards, team security controls
- Enterprise (contact for pricing): dedicated customer success manager, and personalized training and onboarding program
- API (contact for pricing): no downloads required, no Limnu user registration or branding, Limnu hosts all aspects of whiteboard use
Limnu customer ratings
- G2: 4.8/5 (10+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (10+ reviews)
Conceptboard aims to expedite the approval process by bridging the gap between brainstorming and presenting. Layer templates on top of your whiteboard to create a custom structure for your thoughts, and add sections within the same board to cross-reference comments or navigate your drawing while mapping your customer journey.
Our fav Conceptboard features
- Folders to manage multiple whiteboards
- Upload media and annotate PDFs directly on your board
- Board sharing through exports or with internal and external collaborators via a password protected link
✅ Conceptboard pros
- Tons of templates that can be layered on top of each other to use more than one at a time
- Feedback and collaboration features to streamline the early phases of project development
❌ Conceptboard cons
- Limited text editing capabilities to format sticky notes
- Lacking in features to manage the project beyond its early stages
- Free: unlimited boards, one team member, 100 objects, template library, core integrations, 500MB file storage
- Premium ($6 per user, per month): Less than 10 team members, unlimited objects, projects, 50+ participants per board, audio and video sharing, 20GB of file storage
- Business ($9.50 per user, per month): 10+ team members, 75 board participants, 1TB file storage
- Enterprise (contact for pricing, minimum 250 licenses): all features and custom-limit file storage
Conceptboard customer ratings
- G2: 4.5/5 (40+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (20+ reviews)
7. Explain Everything
via Explain Everything
What sets Explain Everything apart from your standard digital whiteboard software is its screen recording feature, allowing you to turn your boards into tutorials to present to classrooms, team members, stakeholders, and more. While you can still find versatility in use cases for Explain Everything, it is primarily targeted toward educators of virtually any subject.
Our fav Explain Everything features
- Record whiteboards (and edit the recording in the app) to screencast lectures and tutorials for blended learning
- Complete color palette with an eyedropper for HEX or RGB code
- Link or code access to share whiteboards with external users
✅ Explain Everything pros
- Tons of features to foster creativity like unique colors, clipart, color-fill, and image layering
- Robust whiteboard recording features
❌ Explain Everything cons
- Not able to create, manage, prioritize, or track tasks, projects, action items, or workflows
- So focused on education that it would require a lot of creativity to adapt Explain Everything to another industry
Explain Everything pricing
- Free: up to three projects, one slide per project, export a video up to one minute, voice chat, web video link sharing, 500MB of cloud storage space
- Teacher ($34.99 per user, per year): unlimited projects, slides, and recording, 1GB cloud storage, user and license management, shared folders
- Class and school ($130 per one teacher and 30 students, per year): MDM deployment, advanced security and permissions, priority support, on-demand reporting
Explain Everything customer ratings
- G2: 4.4/5 (10+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (5+ reviews)
What do you get when you cross a first-generation whiteboard with the latest whiteboard software hitting the market today? You get Vibe—the interactive smart-boards equipped with collaboration software.
Vibe Boards essentially marry the idea of whiteboard hardware and software, but their online platform, Canvas, lets you access your board on your desktop or tablet. Therefore, Canvas is our focus here. 🙂
Our fav Vibe features
- Tons of integrations enhance the functionality of the Vibe Canvas app
- Choice of templates or a blank canvas as a starting point
✅ Vibe pros
- Great for quickly creating, editing, and annotating images or designs
- Integrates with ClickUp
❌ Vibe cons
You can try Vibe’s whiteboard software called Canvas for free, and the app works best with purchase of the Vibe Board. For a limited time, the newest Board, Vibe S1 is on sale for 10% off, usually priced at $3,299.
Vibe customer ratings
Take your ideas from complicated to seamless in seconds with Visme whiteboards, created to help you get rid of boring notes so you can brainstorm with style. Visme lets you tap into endless possibilities with professionally designed templates and intuitive features to help you execute projects from start to finish.
Our fav Visme features
- Built-in video and chat feature with @mentions
- Customizable Whiteboard templates for various projects and team needs
- Limitless whiteboard canvas allows your ideas to grow bigger and better in one space
✅ Visme pros
- Collaborative team and project management features to help with visual thinking, personalized projects and sprints
- Security and workspace features to keep projects private and safe
❌ Visme cons
- Basic: Free account with limited features
- Starter (starting at US $12.25/ month): Gain access to the features needed for individual use.
- Pro (starting at $24.75/month): advanced collaboration features, voting mode and timer, basic admin controls
- Enterprise (contact for pricing): advanced integrations, advanced admin controls, SSO
Visme customer ratings
- G2: 4.5/5 (270+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (650+ reviews)
10. Microsoft Whiteboard
via Microsoft Whiteboard
Microsoft Whiteboard is part of Microsoft 365, so if your company is already using Teams or OneNote, you likely have access to this app. As part of a larger suite of products, Microsoft Whiteboards easily align with work stored in other Microsoft tools and can be used to enhance many of the standard digital whiteboard features we’ve come to recognize from other of the leading brands.
Our fav Microsoft Whiteboard features
- Collaboration roster to see who’s joined your live whiteboard session
- Access to over 40 templates
✅ Microsoft Whiteboard pros
- Access your whiteboard from anywhere by logging into the app on your web browser or Windows app
- Use your whiteboard alongside other Microsoft products to connect your ideas to your work processes
❌ Microsoft Whiteboard cons
- Need other products to get the most out of your whiteboard for effective project management
- Limited visual features make it difficult to fully customize your whiteboard
Microsoft Whiteboard pricing
MS Whiteboard is part of MS 365, which offers custom pricing upon contact or six pricing plans.
For personal use:
- Microsoft 365 Personal ($6.99/month per one person): 1TB cloud storage, ad-free email, Microsoft Editor
- Microsoft 365 Family ($9.99/month for up to 6 people): AI-powered creative tools, OneDrive advanced security
For business use:
- Microsoft 365 Business Basic ($5/user per month): web and mobile versions of Office apps, email protection, Microsoft Forms for feedback
- Microsoft 365 Business Standard ($12.50/user per month): over 1,000 privacy controls, 50GB email mailbox, premium Office apps
- Microsoft 365 Business Premium ($20/user per month): Microsoft Bookings, 1TB OneDrive storage
- Microsoft 365 Apps ($8.25/user per month): includes only premium Office Suite apps, real-time co-authoring, file sync on PC or Mac
Microsoft Whiteboard customer ratings
- G2: 4.6/5 (4,410+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (12,370+ reviews)
11. Google Jamboard
via Google Jamboard
Similar to Vibe, Google Jamboard pushes hardware to compliment the whiteboard software it offers. And similar to Microsoft, Jamboard is likely a good fit for your company if it already runs primarily on G Suite.
For simple doodles, brainstorming, and visual organization, Jamboard gets the job done, but for complex projects, classrooms, meetings, and event management, you will need to lean on other Google Workspace apps to get the job done.
Our fav Google Jamboard features
- Access your collaborative whiteboard app from almost anywhere through the Jamboard app
- Choose from various backgrounds to help format your blank canvas
- Drop images, add notes, and grab assets directly from the web, or pull in work from Docs, Sheets, and Slides
✅ Google Jamboard pros
- Present your jams in real-time through Google Meet and quickly pull work from other Google apps into your board
- Very simple to get started if you have a Google Workspace account
❌ Google Jamboard cons
- Reliant on other G Suite products or hardware to make the Jamboard app powerful and versatile
- Limited tools available for the app and key features like adding video, sound, and other media to your board are simply not available
Google Jamboard pricing
The Google Jamboard software as an app and platform is available to anyone with a Google Workspace account, which offers four plan options.
- Free for personal: 15 GB storage per user in Google Drive
- Business Starter ($6/user per month): 30GB per user cloud storage, custom business email, standard support
- Business Standard ($12/user per month): 2TB per user cloud storage, ad-free email, digital whiteboard
- Business Plus ($18/user per month): 5TB per user cloud storage, auto-accept invitations, site website builder
Google Workspace also offers an Enterprise plan upon request.
Google Jamboard customer ratings
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (60+ reviews)
For Crayon, simplicity is the name of the game. This app is in its very early stages of development and offers little in the way of features besides space to add simple text, draw, and brainstorm with its click-and-drag functionality. But since it is in such early phases, there is potential for more advanced features down the line.
Our fav Crayon features
- Click-and-draw drawing feature reminiscent of the Microsoft Pain app every 90’s kids used to love
- Double-click anywhere to create a text box
✅ Crayon pros
- Very simple to understand and catch onto
- Easy to share whiteboards and join other live whiteboard sessions by URL
❌ Crayon cons
- Limited features to the point where it cannot perform much beyond basic notes and drawing
- No chat, work management features, or integrations to enhance its functionality
Crayon is currently in alpha and completely free while in its early development.
Crayon customer ratings
13. Whiteboard Fox
via Whiteboard Fox
If you’re looking to quickly share a drawing or present an idea in the early ideation phase, Whiteboard Fox may be a good whiteboard software solution for you. Similar to a whiteboard you might keep at your desk for convenience or in the kitchen for grocery list additions, Whiteboard Fox emphasizes the use of color and drawn images to organize your board.
Our fav Whiteboard Fox features
- Whiteboard room ID for quick connection to any live session
- 67 color options to use on your whiteboard
- Dark mode
✅ Whiteboard Fox pros
- Simple to learn the app and join other whiteboards from any browser
- Share your whiteboard via URL in an email
- Using Whiteboard Fox on a tablet allows for extra functionality like pinch-to-zoom gestures and stylus pen support
❌ Whiteboard Fox cons
- No project or work management features
- Limited to drawing or writing with the whiteboard’s pen
- No integrations with other work tools
Whiteboard Fox pricing
- Personal (free): draw in seven colors, whiteboards will expire after 14 days
- Pro ($7 per month): draw in 67 colors, choose when your whiteboard expires, dark mode option, no ads
- Enterprise (starting at $15 per user, per month): optional self-hosted whiteboard database, no anonymous participants, flexible billing options
Whiteboard Fox customer ratings
- G2: 4.5/5 (2+ reviews)
- Capterra: N/A
Draw.Chat is an effective solution for teams looking to collaborate in a single space during meetings or brainstorming sessions. Send an editable link to quickly gather distributed team members in a single space to draw, chat, and work together.
Our fav Draw.Chat features
- Offline mode to chat and receive notifications about your board at anytime
- Drag-and-drop images, files, PDFs, and pictures to annotate on your board
✅ Draw.Chat pros
- Tons of keyboard shortcuts to keep ideas flowing as quickly as possible
- Communicate via audio and video conference from within the app
❌ Draw.Chat cons
- Not able to connect ideas directly to your workflow
- Limited integrations to enhance functionality
Draw.Chat is a free online whiteboard tool.
Draw.Chat customer ratings
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (5+ reviews)
InVision Freehand is a simple yet powerful online whiteboard for teams to visually express their ideas through charts, diagrams, drawings, and more.
Our fav InVision features
- Mind Mapping feature
- Over 100 templates, many of which were designed by teams at similar project management platforms to be used with the other apps like Monday.com, Jira, and Asana
✅ InVision pros
- Tons of templates and integrations make InVision whiteboards more valuable and versatile to different teams
- Able to access all fundamental features with every pricing plan, even the free version
❌ InVision cons
- Limited integrations and does not integrate with ClickUp
- Difficult to manage complex projects as more ideas and contributors are added to your whiteboard
- Free: up to 100 users, three freehands, unlimited public and private spaces, all key features and platform integrations
- Pro ($4 per user, per month): up to 200 users, unlimited freehands
- Enterprise (contact for pricing): per seat pricing with no user limits, advanced team management and security
InVision customer ratings
- G2: 4.4/5 (740+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (660+ reviews)
Ziteboard is a collaborative whiteboard software that allows teams to brainstorm, present, tutor, or train from any device. Primarily marketed to tutors and designers, Ziteboard is meant to act as the “scratch paper” for remote teams and educators to create wireframes, voice and video chat, and even graph equations in an endless open space.
Our fav Ziteboard features
- Anonymous whiteboard feature for external clients or users to join your board
- Export your Ziteboard PNG or SVG files directly into Photoshop or Illustrator to archive your work
- Confetti button to celebrate achievements and little wins
✅ Ziteboard pros
- Multiple features to communicate with the team beyond chat
- Easy to import, export, and share your boards to further your ideas
❌ Ziteboard cons
- Not built to manage tasks or connect your whiteboard ideas directly to your workflow
- Limited free version, most advanced features are only available to paid plans
- Starter (free): three boards, unlimited collaborators, limited data traffic, three basic colors, sticky notes, low-res image import, limited PDF imports
- One Week Pro (one-time payment of $5): unlimited boards, unlimited data traffic, custom colors, highlighter pens, full PDF import, text chat, public and private boards
- Monthly Pro ($9 per month): all features of the One Week Pro plan on a monthly basis
- Annual Pro ($85 per year): all features of the One Week Pro plan on a yearly basis
- Enterprise (contact for pricing): customizations, white label license, SSO, encryption, dedicated server
Ziteboard customer ratings
- G2: 4.4/5 (4+ reviews)
- Capterra: 5/5 (3+ reviews)
Bonus: For more Whiteboard tools check out our guide on Mural alternatives!
💘 ClickUp + Whiteboards = 4ever
Whether you’re the brainstormer, the planner, the doodler, or the do-er on your team, there is a digital whiteboard tool out there to make your ideas a reality—and look no further than ClickUp!
Columbia Pictures MGM via GIPHY
The real power and versatility of whiteboard project management comes to life when you’re able to seamlessly connect your thoughts to your workflow, a feature that ClickUp Whiteboards have perfected!
Collaboration and creativity take on a whole new meaning with shapes, objects, and notes easily converted into tasks, real-time editing, and so much more.
Merge the power of ClickUp with the creative freedom of Whiteboards and start acting on your ideas instantly
With a growing list of features and even bigger plans ahead, ClickUp is the no-brainer starting point for your Whiteboard app needs. Access Whiteboards for free and test drive your first three boards in ClickUp for free, forever.
Try it for yourself and tell us what you think! 🚀