HSHS Sacred Heart Hospital, Eau Claire, WI

17 Aug.,2022

 

circo electric bed

The beginning: 1889

 

The history of Sacred Heart Hospital in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, began nearly 130 years ago on October 7, 1889 when two Hospital Sisters of Saint Francis arrived from their Motherhouse in Springfield, Illinois to Eau Claire. Their work in establishing the first hospital began in the residence of Mrs. J. Fitzpatrick, located in the 100 block of Putnam Street.

In the following spring, a new three-story building was erected on the northeast hill facing north Dewey Street, with accommodations for 50 patients.

On July 28, 1890, the Articles of Incorporation of the Hospital were sent to Madison, Wisconsin and were acknowledged on August 1 under the title of the “Hospital of the Sacred Heart of Jesus of the Sisters of St. Francis.”

The new hospital served 275 patients in the first year. It grew to meet community needs; the total patients in the following year increased to 422, for 9,903 days of nursing care. By 1901, the patient load reached 666 for 16,972 days of care.